Technology to achieve job goals
NovitaTech has a 30-year history of finding solutions for people of all ages, all disabilities and all locations within Australia. We specialise in a range of areas including assistive technology, mobility and seating, and orthotics. Some of the products and work available through NovitaTech could be funded as workplace modifications under the Employment Assistance Fund.
How can NovitaTech help?
There are several ways in which NovitaTech can assist Disability Employment Services assessors, providers, participants and employers, such as:
- suppling assistive technology devices to assist a person with a disability or injury to access computers, communicate or support their literacy
- providing fee-for-service assessment on mobility and seating requirements
- customising mainstream equipment to enable use by someone with a disability.
In addition NovitaTech work with a multi-disciplinary team that includes occupational therapists, speech pathologists, rehabilitation engineers and mechanical and electronic technicians.
The following case studies highlight how an integrated approach can benefit both client and employer.
Sam has cerebral palsy and needs to access a computer and improve his communication at work. He has a physical disability and speech impairment. Sam uses a powered wheelchair for mobility, and through the control box can also answer his telephone. Samís solution must work in conjunction with his current technology.
Sam's solution included:
- Provision of a new control unit for his wheelchair - A Genie+. This allowed the integration of wheelchair control, mouse control and telephone control into one system. The added benefit for computer access is that the mouse control uses wireless technology, so Sam could be independent in his computer use within the work environment.
- A combination software program that provides the ability for speech generation and an onscreen keyboard. This enabled Sam to use the mouse control to select letters within an interactive program to prepare documents and emails.
- A custom-made arm gutter. This provided extra support and positioning to increase Samís accuracy when using the joystick.
Jim had an old wheelchair that did not provide enough support while at work. While he needed additional supports, he had difficulty keeping an even body temperature, especially at work where he was not able to control the office temperature. This meant he often became too hot.
Jim's solution included:
- A NovitaTech custom seat cushion and back. This enabled Jim to sit for long periods of time without discomfort, as well as maintain his level of function and independence. They were also made to be removable for transportation.
- Removable and washable seat liners, which meant that if Jim was sweating in the chair, they could be cleaned and dried easily.
- Spex positioning components. A centre point harness and belt provided for safety and positioning in the chair.
This page last updated: 1 June 2010
URL for this page: http://www.novitatech.org.au/content.asp?p=691